24 Hour Pharmacist:
7 Ways To Detox
Do you just basically accept that you have a lot of gas, cramps or belly bloating?
Some of you just find yourself analyzing what you ate, or cutting some food out of your diet, naming it as the “offender” even if it’s not. Do you just assume you need a new medication to make yourself feel better?
That’s so crazy, don’t layer a drug on top of your problem! I recommend you do a gentle detox of your system rather than keep doing what you’re doing, eating what you’re eating and then adding all sorts of synthetic chemicals in an effort to improve digestion: Laxatives, antacids, anti-gas pills, lactose pills, diarrhea aids or acid blockers. Some of you take several of these in a single day!
So what is the best way to detox? I’m not asking you to drink nothing but water or soup every day, although you could try that for a few days, it’s termed a “fast” and there are many variations of a fast.
You can be proactive and take action without taking drugs just to eat comfortably. The question is what is the underlying problem for you? You’ll need testing.
Is it an infection like SIBO, or H. pylori?
Is it low acid or high?
Is it a food sensitivity?
Certain symptoms show you that you have too many toxins that keep you on overload. Keep in mind that your brain is your second gut, and since there is a biochemical highway connecting them, signs of toxins in your gut show up in your the brain. So for example, you may have migraines or headaches, word finding problems, irritability, mood swings and anxiety. But remember it’s in your gut, and in your bloodstream. If it’s backing up there, it’s backing up in your brain too, hence all the head-related problems.
Consider the following choices and have a candid conversation with a holistic-minded practitioner. Don’t just run for more laxatives. This is what I would do to reduce debris in my system:
1. I’d eliminate concentrated dairy (butter, yogurt, cheese).
2. I would begin a greens superfood blend (wheat grass, chlorella, etc) because these bind toxins and metals from your gut, these are sold everywhere. If you have concerns about your thyroid condition, look for “goitrogen-free” blend, otherwise, any green superfood will work.
3. If you have serious brain issues, I would ask the doctor for a prescription binder like cholestyramine or colestipol, these are cholesterol-reducing medications.
4. I would eliminate fast foods, or those containing artificial dyes, corn syrup and MSG.
5. Chia seed oil, Salmon oil or Hemp oil, choose one and take daily.
6. Drink more, especially hot lemon water, and herbal teas like rooibos and tulsi.
7. Take a good probiotic as a dietary supplement. Consider digestive enzymes with every meal. I would take both if it were me.