Mannford, OK – Mannford Elementary will join schools from around the world to celebrate International Walk to School Day on 10/5/2016.
Approximately 150 students will be walking and rolling to school, along with parents, teachers and community leaders. We have invited the City Manager and will have a police escort.
The event will begin at 7:30am with kids, parents and community leaders walking from Cimtel parking lot. Walkers [and bicyclists] will arrive at the Cimtel lot by 7:20am. Other special activities associated with the walk include prizes given away to students after they have completed walk/bike to school event and a photo cut out opportunity.
Walk to School Day events raise awareness of the need to create safer routes for walking and bicycling and emphasize the importance of issues such as increasing physical activity among children, pedestrian safety, traffic congestion and concern for the environment. The events build connections between families, schools and the broader community.
The event is being organized by MES Physical Education. For additional local information, please contact Chris Weatherford at 405-640-8772.
For additional information, please visit these websites:
Walk to School Day in the USA www.walkbiketoschool.org
National Center for Safe Routes to School www.saferoutesinfo.org
About International Walk to School Day
- Walk to School Day was established in the United States in 1997 by the Partnership for a Walkable America. Canada and Great Britain already had walk to school programs in place. In 2000, these three countries joined together to create International Walk to School Day.
- In May 2006, the National Center for Safe Routes to School was established to assist communities in enabling and encouraging children to safely walk and bike to school.
- The National Center for Safe Routes to School serves as the national coordinating agency for Walk to School and Bike to School activities in the United States.
- Walk to School Day began as a simple idea – children and parents, school and local officials walking to school together on a designated day. It is an energizing event, reminding everyone of the simple joy of walking to school, the health benefits of regular daily activity, and the need for safe places to walk and bike. Schools focus on health, safety, physical activity and concern for the environment.
- Organizations supporting International Walk to School Day in the United States include America Walks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Federal Highway Administration, the Institute of Transportation Engineers, the National Center for Safe Routes to School, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Safe Kids Worldwide, and the Safe Routes to School National Partnership.